Friday, December 2

Sometimes I think I need to go to work stoned. That's the only way some of these albums are going to sound listenable. For example, the musical stylings of No-Neck Blues Band on their album "Qvaris." I swear to you, the only way you could sit and listen to this album is by smoking lots and lots of pot. So much so that you can't move to turn it off.

Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration. If you were stoned, you might actually enjoy the crazy noises and sampling. I, however, wouldn't know, having never been stoned myself. But others assure me that this is the case.

Obviously someone told the lyricist from Parks and Recreation that his genius lyrics ("Star 69 girl" and "la la la la la" just to quote a few) would catapult him to stardom. Someone needs recind this lie out of kindness to that man.

Aside from an unfortunate name, The Beating has an interesting sound. They're like a less melodic and synthesized version of The Killers. In all, they're a nice counterpoint to the whole Bright Eyes Emo sect of the world. Sometimes we all need relief from the Mellow.

Pearls and Brass have this song that sounds exactly like something I've heard before, but I can't place it for the life of me. I'm not sure if it's a cover or just a really stereotypical hard rock song. Either way, I'm a little confused. I mean, if it's a cover, that's cool and all, but why include a cover on your break-out album? If it's not a cover, why aren't they trying to sound less like all the bands of the 80s and more like, I dunno, something different.

However, considering that covers are becoming more and more common on popular albums (see the lastest Jessica Simpson and Mandy Moore contributes to society), this aversion I have to them must be unique to me. Obviously, I need a head readjustment or something.

No comments: