Wednesday, December 28

I'd forgotten what reading for pleasure feels like. Unusually for me, I've been on a Scare Myself phase for my reading list. In the last two days, I've consumed two horror books-during which heroines see (and speak to) dead people-with plans for a new vampiric volume tomorrow.

I think after McKinley's Sunshine, though, I'm going to move back to the world of realistic, hunky dory fiction. I've had enough of leaving the light on. Oh, wait, I wanted to read some Lewis and some Shelley. Argh! It looks as though I'll be imitating Tom Bodett for awhile longer.

Here's the current reading list for break (note the lack of Impressive Tomes):
1. Grave Sight (check)
2. Twilight (check)
3. Sunshine
4. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
5. Frankenstein
6. The Mysterious Affair at Styles
7. Death on the Nile
8...Huh.

I've finally noticed that almost ALL of these books are guarenteed to make me turn to my trusty lamp in order to forge that secure, cozy feeling. Maybe I need to mess with the list a bit. Lose the Shelley perhaps? Throw in a little Happy Prose? Ah, something to ponder.

Well, I guess I've avoided it long enough. It's time for the sad news.

Sebastian died today, or maybe last night. Since he doesn't make any noise, I didn't notice until 11am this morning when I went to feed him. He stopped eating a few days ago, and his tank contracted an odd filmy residue that kept coming back. But I never thought he'd die. He was the miracle fish. He recovered from a bloated swim bladder for goodness' sake. The vet assured me that that was UNHEARD OF (emphasis mine).

I am going to be holding a small intimate funeral tomorrow, should anyone care to attend. Afterward, I'll be serving Goldfish crackers and Crystal Geyser water in the den. Near his old tank. We can talk about what a good fish he was and what a wonderful mascott he made during Relay for Life for the rest of the Dashing Sebastians.

2 comments:

meloukhia said...

Sebastian was the superfish. Not only that, he was more well traveled than most fish I know. Except maybe salmon. Salmon do swim around a lot.

Right now I am reading the Deptford Trilogy. Robertson Davies always puts me in a funny mood.

X said...

RIP Sebastian. I loved him.

Yeah, I've completely nixed the Chronicles of Narnia for now. The Mysterious Affair at Styles is pretty good--it put the wool over my eyes for sure.

Haven't read Death on the Nile yet...