Saturday, January 14

Frustration

So, my reading list has once again been deconstructed. I found out that I couldn't bring Tricky Business down here with me because my father is taking it to England; Death on the Nile and The Mysterious Affair at Styles had to be culled because my mom donated them to Paul Bunyan* while I was at school; and Prince Caspian was inadvertantly left on my nightstand.

Annoying as all that is, the fact that school starts in two days and I just barely finished Sunshine is chafing more than anything. It was supposed to be an easy read. A mere 400 pages of novelistic sensationalism. No problem for my overly active English-major, novel devouring habits. Unfortunately, this assumption was made before I realized that the book was about vampires. Yeah, vampires. Then, it was a whole new ballpark.

I know, with a name like Sunshine I should have seen it coming, right? The thing is, I didn't. I never thought this would be a fantasy novel of epic proportions such as it was. I mean, it was 400 pages, but it felt like reading 400 pages of Dune or Stranger in a Strange Land. Not as good, but just as dense.

So now I'm pathetically far behind on my break reading list, which is, currently, as follows:

1. Grave Sight [check]
2. Twilight [check]
3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe [check]
4. Sunshine [check]
5. Join Me [in progress]
6. On the Road
7. The Traveller
8. Trickster's Queen

Off to feed my mind, which is, sadly, disintegrating as I type from the malevolent cold that will not go away.

* For those who do not live in Fort Bragg, Mendocino or surrounding areas, Paul Bunyan refers to the local Goodwill store.

No comments: